Student Rights

Student Rights regarding Homelessness

and High Mobility


If your family is staying in an emergency shelter, temporarily doubled up, or moving frequently, you may be considered homeless or highly mobile by law. 

Let the School Social Worker know this.


If your family is homeless or highly mobile, your child has a right:

o  To immediately enroll in school.

o  To continue at the same school if transportation is feasible.

o  To attend special programs and afterschool activities.

o  To automatically qualify for free lunch at school.

o  To have free school supplies.

o  To receive needed services as all other students.



When enrolling your child in school, you do not need to immediately provide:

o  Proof of residency,

o  Immunization records,

o  Birth certificate, or previous school records.